Aluminium vs. Other Materials: Comparing Outdoor Seating Options
Outdoor seating is available in an endless array of materials, from metal to plastic and timber, there’s almost no material that can’t be used. While each can create a stunning outdoor space, they’re not all suited to the same outdoor conditions, and the seating you select should be able to withstand any weather condition. Your outdoor seating should be something that not only looks good in your outdoor space but also lasts a lifetime.
The most popular and common material for outdoor seating is none other than aluminium, however, to some, aluminium may seem too plain for their outdoor space, or they may be looking for something with more of a natural feel, so we have compiled a list of the pros and cons of the most popular outdoor seating materials, including aluminium, to see how they weigh up against each other, allowing you to make the perfect decision for your outdoor space.
The most common outdoor seating material with great versatility.
- Doesn’t rust
- Easy to maintain and clean
- Can be powder coated in bright vibrant colours
- Great for seaside locations
- Available in a wide range of powder coated colours
- Can blow over in the wind if not secured properly
- Can heat up quickly if placed in direct sunlight
A great hardwood option to create a natural look.
- Creates a more natural look
- Great wear and tear
- Long lasting
- Contains natural oils that help prevent cracking, splitting and shrinkage
- Can endure harsh temperatures and climates
- Natural resistance to termites and fungal rotting
- Doesn’t easily burst into flames making it great for bushfire prone areas
- Can fade over time
- May need re-oiling
- More susceptible to the weather
- Can rot and decay if not treated correctly
A strong rustic looking material that can create unique designs.
- Very durable
- Long lasting
- Can withstand strong weather conditions
- Creates a more historical look
- Extremely heavy
- Not easy to move around
- Can be uncomfortable to sit on for long periods
- Can rust and corrode if not treated properly
A classic, versatile and timeless material.
- Available in almost any colour
- Easy to clean
- Easily susceptible to UV damage
- Loses colour and goes brittle easily
- Easily susceptible to strong winds
As you can see, when it comes to aluminium outdoor seating amongst the other types, the pros outweigh the cons. At SeatsPlus, we have an extensive range of aluminium outdoor seating that can be the perfect addition to your outdoor space. Whether it’s for your school, workplace, or community, our aluminium seating can easily fit your requirements. Available in 20 powder coated colours, we can take plain aluminium seating and turn it into something that will stand out from the crowd. If you are after a more natural look, we also have a range of hardwearing Merbau timber outdoor seating that can create an attractive natural look in your outdoor space.